Thursday 24 September 2009

Day 267 - September 24th

Although we haven't really been affected by the credit crunch, this year I have subconsciously found myself trying to 'Reduce, Reuse and Recycle' more and to 'Make Do and Mend' and generally be more frugal. This has particularly been the case with food. I hate wasting food! This morning I notice a few bananas in the fruit bowl that were really past their best and unlikely to be touched by the children with a barge pole. So, instead of throwing them away I decided to make some Banana Muffins. I found a recipe on the internet and hey presto 30 mins later I had a lovely batch of 12 yummy muffins. I later discovered just how yummy they were and now there are only 9 left!



For anyone whose interested, here's the fool proof recipe:

Ingredients
200g (7 oz) plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large bananas, mashed
150g (5 oz) caster sugar
1 egg
75g (2 1/2 oz) butter, melted

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C /gas mark 4. Place 12 paper baking cases in muffin tin.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt; set aside.
3. Combine mashed bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter in a large bowl. Fold in flour mixture, and mix until smooth.
4. Spoon evenly into baking cases in muffin tin.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until muffins spring back when lightly tapped.

3 comments:

Linda said...

yummy yummy! Seems all of us 365ers love to bake cakes every now and then!

Deb said...

These look lovely Karen - thanks for the recipe - I will have to give it a try as I have some bananas over their best now.

Coffeedoff said...

I have noted the recipe, and will try it when I have some bananas.