Wednesday 7 October 2009

Day 280 - October 7th

"Ding dong bell"

Wet weather today meant I've been stuck inside so my photo today is of a bell that we have on display in the lounge. Up until a few years ago I regularly attended church and was a managing trustee. Sadly due to declining numbers we eventually had to make the decision to close the church. It was a sad day. Before the contents of the church were sold and eventually the building too, the few remaining members were asked if there was an object or two from the church that they would like to have as a souvenir. I choose a pen and ink drawing of the building and this bell. The bell was used in the Sunday school room and dates from 1897. I keep meaning to take the bell somewhere and have it engraved with the name of the Church and dates it opened and closed but never get around to it.

2 comments:

Coffeedoff said...

Sad to see things passing. Nice keepsake though!

Deb said...

That's a nice but sad story - but churches closing seems to be a reflection of the times. I hope you manage to get it engraved one day. Lovely photo of the bell.