Sunday 21 June 2009

Day 172 - June 21st (Father's Day)

Before I post todays photo Deb asked yesterday how I got the white background in my photo of the strawberries. It was really simple Deb - nothing technical. I just put the strawberries on a sheet of white card and laid it on the ground outside in the sunshine. Then making sure I didn't get my shadow in the shot I took a photo using the macro setting. I've done this too inside but just put the card and the object I'm photographing near a window to get the natural light.

On to today......


As today was Father's Day Wayne was given the choice of what we did today. He chose for us to go to Wrest Park for the afternoon again. The fact that as members of English Heritage we get in for free, so it's a cheap afternoon out, possibly swayed his decision! LOL We even managed to get eldest son to join us.

I took loads of photos again but hopefully what I've uploaded toady are of different parts of the park than those I've posted before.

The photo I chose as my photo of the day is this one of a corner of the West Flower Garden.



There aren't that many flowers at Wrest Park but alongside one wall is flower border which at the moment is lovely. There are several climbing and bush roses ..........







Some lovely peonies and honeysuckle and this plant which I haven't a clue what it is but it's very unusual..........



This statue, and another like it, stands at one end of the border either side of some very grand gates into the walled kitchen garden which unfortunately isn't open to the public.......



We stopped off at the Dog's Cemetery during our visit which is hidden away in the wooded area. There is a monument surrounded by a number of grave stones of dogs owned by the Grey family and date from the late 19th century. Some are difficult to read but some have been restored and are quite clear.






We stopped for a little while on the Chinese Bridge .............



and then headed off to the Amphitheatre which is next to the Bowling Green House ..........


The children love to roll down the hill which forms the amphitheatre!

We had a lovely afternoon. The only sad part was when we saw the family of swans on the canal. Last week there were seven cygnets. This week there were only six! We wondered what happened to the seventh.


3 comments:

Joy said...

I love the Chinese Bridge picture. What beautiful gardens.

Deb said...

Thanks Karen - it sounds easy when you know how - watch out for some nice white backgrounds appearing on my photos soon!

After seeing you photos - I am even more determined to go to Wrest Park in August - it looks a great place to visit. I like the chinese bridge photo as well.

Coffeedoff said...

The flower photos are brilliant! It looks a lovely place.