Sunday 14 June 2009

Day 165 - June 14th

Today was a wonderfully hot, sunny day so this afternoon we paid another visit to Wrest Park.

I took LOADS of photos (as I always do when we visit) so thought as I posted a photo of the main house last time that this time I would post some of the grounds. Apologies for a VERY heavy photo post.

My photo of today is of the domed pavilion (originally called the Banqueting House) which stands at one end of a long canel and was designed in by Thomas Archer in 1709. It is hexagonal on the outside and circular inside with winding stairs going up to tiny rooms.


The photo was taken at a distance of the back of the building so here's a few more photo - one from the far end of the canal ...............


one from outside the front of the buiding ...........



and this one from the back but a bit closer.


We also remembered to take a family photo on the steps at the front (something we do everytime we visit). We are getting quite good at taking family photos with the camera on a timer.



There are lots of buildings, monuments and follies in the gardens. This next one is the Bowling Green House.



This one is the orangery, and a view from the front of it.




My favourite building is the Bath House. It is very rustic looking with a part thatched roof and the floor is made of pebbles and knuckle-bones! There is a punge pool in it which it fed from a spring. Unfortunately the sun was behind the building so I didn't get the best shot today.



I also managed to take a few windlife photos. This swan and her cynets were particularly cute and the photo would have been my photo of the day if last Sundays photo hadn't been a swan!



We saw morehens nesting in the middle of the water.


I was luck enough to have a hugh dragonfly land just in front of me.


and the damsel flies were out in force sunnign themselves.


3 comments:

Coffeedoff said...

Lovely place It looks so peaceful. Interesting building. Loved the swans and the insects.

Linda said...

stunning photos Karen! I love the 'family' shot, what a great idea!

Deb said...

Karen thanks for this great post - your photos are just wonderful. I really liked the look of it - so followed the link and then a link to travel lodge and they have some cheap rooms at the toddington services in August - so I am think I am very tempted to pay a visit!